People stay in abusive relationships for a multitude of reasons.
- Most victims eventually do leave
- Leaving is sometimes the most dangerous time for victims
- Leaving does not necessarily end the abuse
In 2013-2014, Beyond Violence counseled 1,189 adults.
Child counseling is offered to children who have experienced some form of trauma to address through counseling practices sensitive to the child’s needs.
- Emotional state
- Developmental level
- Language and cognitive skills
- Identify, build, strengthen, coordinate network in order to foster long-term healing and recovery
In 2013-2014 Beyond Violence counseled 408 children and teens.
The average prevalence of dating violence for high school students is 22%
- Teen violence affects 1 in 3 teens, higher than adult domestic abuse.
- Is perpetrated by a lack of experience, desire for independence and reliance on support from inexperienced peers.
- Involves a pattern of coercive, manipulative behavior.
- Can contribute to interpersonal violence in adulthood
The prevention of dating violence requires a collaborative, integrated approach using education and preventative programs.